Tulane will face
Oklahoma in the
NCAA Tournament's second
round on Sunday
May 15, 2004
NORMAN, Okla. - - The Tulane women's tennis team got wins on courts three, four and six en route to a 4-0 win over Richmond in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Oklahoma's Headington Tennis Center on Saturday.
Tulane, the tournament's No. 16 seed, improves to 26-1 overall with the win, while Richmond ends its season with a 14-9 record with the loss. The Green Wave will next face host Oklahoma in the second round. The 20th-ranked Sooners (22-4) advanced with a 4-1 win over Tulsa in Saturday's first match.
The Green Wave got off to a good start with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to claim the opening doubles point. The Tulane tandem of Nancy Kockott and Dorottya Magas, ranked 45th by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, posted an 8-4 win over the Richmond team of Wolfgram and Karhohs on court two. Darya Ivanov and Julie Smekodub followed with an 8-5 win over Grasu and Cox at the No. 1 spot.
Tulane then added a trio of straight-set wins in singles to close out the match. Nancy Kockott was the first off the courts with her 6-0, 6-1 win over Courtney Klein on court six to give Tulane a 2-0 lead. Smekodub, ranked 58th by the ITA, posted a 7-5, 6-4 win over Meghan Wolfgram on court three to life the Wave lead to 3-0. Freshman Darya Ivanov, ranked 91st in singles, closed out the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Robin Carter at the No. 4 spot.
"We are excited to get the win today," Tulane head coach David Schumacher said. "It was our first match in several weeks, so you always worry about being rusty. We did what we needed to do. It can always be prettier, but we'll take the win. Hopefully it will be better on Sunday."
Tulane, ranked 11th by the ITA, will face Oklahoma on Sunday with a spot in the Round of 16 at stake. The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.
1. Maria Ivanov (TU) (#81) vs. Beatrice Grasu (UR), DNF
2. Jenny Kuhn (TU) (#99) vs. Lindsay Cox (UR), DNF
3. Julie Smekodub (TU) (#58) def. Meghan Wolfgram (UR), 7-5, 6-4
4. Darya Ivanov (TU) (#91) def. Robin Carter (UR), 6-2, 6-2
5. Erika Valdes (TU) (#62) vs. Emily Applegate (UR), DNF
6. Nancy Kockett def. Courtney Klein (UR), 6-0, 6-1
1. D. Ivanov /Smekodub (TU) def. Grasu/Cox (UR) TU, 8-5
2. Kockott/Magas (TU) (#45) def. Wolfgram/Katie Karhohs (UR), 8-4
3. M. Ivanov/Kuhn vs. Carter/Klein (UR), DNF
Doubles - 2, 1
Singles - 6, 3, 4