Tulane is looking
for its second straight
C-USA Tournament title
April 17, 2004
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - - The Tulane women's tennis team advanced to the championship game of the Conference USA Tournament for the second straight season, posting a 4-1 win over No. 3 seed Houston at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center on Saturday.
Tulane, ranked 15th by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, won its 14th straight match to improve to 23-1 overall. The Green Wave are the tournament's top seed and defending champion.
Tulane took an early 1-0 lead by winning on courts two and three to claim the opening doubles point. The Wave duo of Nancy Kockott and Dorottya Magas, ranked 21st by the ITA, cruised to an 8-1 win over the Houston team of Martin and Urbin at the No. 2 spot. Jenny Kuhn and Maria Ivanov clinched the doubles point for the Wave with their 8-6 win over Terblanche and Miller on court three.
Tulane then posted wins on courts one, four and five to claim the dual match win. Jenny Kuhn, ranked 107th in singles by the ITA, had little trouble at the No. 1 singles spot, turning in a 6-3, 6-0 win over Houston's Miranda Foley. Dorottya Magas also had a win for the Wave, recording a 6-3, 6-3 triumph over Yolandi Terblanche on court four. Erika Valdes closed out the scoring for Tulane with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Karine Urbin at the No. 5 spot.
The Green Wave advance to the championship game for the second straight season and for the third time in four years. Tulane won its first C-USA title in 2001 before also claiming last season's crown. The Wave will face either No. 2 seed, and 2002 champ TCU, or host Louisville (the No. 5 seed) in Sunday's championship match.
Match #17 (Bass-Rudd Tennis Center ~ Louisville, Ky.)
(1) Tulane 4, (3) Houston 1
1. #107 Jenny Kuhn, TUL def. Miranda Foley, HOU, 6-3, 6-0
2. #49 Julie Smekodub, TUL vs. Biljana Dimovska, HOU, DNF
3. #89 Darya Ivanov, TUL vs. Diana Martin, HOU, DNF
4. Dorottya Magas, TUL def. Yolandi Terblanche, HOU, 6-3, 6-3
5. #47 Erika Valdes, TUL def. Karine Urbin, HOU, 6-3, 6-2
6. Kami Miller, HOU def. #114 Ana Saabi, TUL, 6-3, 6-2
1. Smekodub/Ivanov, TUL Foley/Dimovska, HOU, DNF
2. #21 Kockott/Magas, TUL def. Martin/Urbin, HOU, 8-1
3. M. Ivanov/Kuhn, TUL def. Terblanche/Miller, HOU, 8-6