Feb. 25, 2005
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - The No. 15 Tulane women's tennis team extended its winning streak to four matches, cruising to a 7-0 victory over Cal State Northridge in the opening round of the fourth annual UNLV Lady Rebel Classic.
Tulane took an early lead, sweeping the doubles, and never looked back as the Wave captured each of the singles matches, as well. With the win, Tulane (6-4) advances to the winners' bracket of the Lady Rebel Classic, and will face No. 30 New Mexico on Saturday at noon, CST.
At No. 1 singles, Maria Ivanov cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 win over Silvia Gutierrez, while teammate Jenny Kuehn, ranked No. 55 in the latest ITA poll, defeated Canna Furuta, 6-4, 6-0 at No. 2. YuYu Myinttun took Tulane's Julie Smekodub, the nation's No. 71 player, to three sets in the three spot, but Smekodub prevailed in the tie-breaker, 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-1).
Green Wave sophomore Darya Ivanov picked up the straight set win at No. 4 over the Matador's Yasuyo Hashimoto, 6-0, 6-0. Fellow sophomore Dorottya Magas notched the win at No. 5, 6-2, 6-1, over Kanykey Koichumanova and Ana Saaibi picked up the win in the six spoit, 6-1, 6-0, over Kasia Krasinska.
Tulane returns to the Goldring Tennis Complex on Sunday, March 6, hosting William and Mary at noon.
No. 15 Tulane 7, Cal State Northridge 0
February 25, 2004
Ferritta Tennis Complex
Las Vegas, Nev.
1. Ivanov/Ivanov (TU) def. Gutierrez/Myinttun (CSUN) 8-3
2. Smekodub/Kuehn (TU) def. Furuta/Hashimoto (CSUN) 8-6
3. Koichumanova/Krasinska (CSUN) def. Magas/Saaibi (TU) 9-7
1. Maria Ivanov (TU) def. Silvia Gutierrez (CSUN) 6-2, 6-1
2. #55 Jenny Kuehn (TU) def. Canna Furuta (CSUN) 6-4, 6-0
3. #71 Julie Smekodub (TU) def. YuYu Myinttun (CSUN) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-1)
4. Darya Ivanov (TU) def. Yasuyo Hashimoto (CSUN) 6-0, 6-0
5. Dorottya Magas (TU) def. Kanykey Koichumanova (CSUN) 6-2, 6-1
6. Ana Saaibi (TU) def. Kasia Krasinska (CSUN) 6-1, 6-0