April 7, 2004
NEW ORLEANS, La. - An impressive string of performances in singles lifted Tulane University to a 5-2 victory over LSU in the Goldring-Jacobs Men's Tennis Challenge on Wednesday afternoon at the Goldring Tennis Center. It was the ninth straight home victory for the Green Wave.
Tulane, which is ranked No. 27 in the nation, improves to 13-4 with the win, while 13th-ranked LSU drops to 13-4. It is the highest-ranked team that the Wave has defeated this season.
Tulane fell in an early hole as LSU's potent doubles lineup won two of the three matches to open a 1-0 edge.
However, the Green Wave quickly took control in singles. Freshman David Goulet had a dominating 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 4 over Bryan Fisher to knot the match at one apiece. Then in a marquee match of nationally-ranked players at No. 1 singles, Tulane's 13th-ranked Michael Kogan cruised to a 6-2, 6-3 win over LSU's 28th-ranked Ken Skupski. Kogan, a two-time All-American, is Tulane's all-time record-holder in singles victories with 109.
At No. 5 singles, the Wave's Jacobo Hernandez posted a 6-3, 6-1 win over Sebastian Rutka to make the score 3-1 and then Tulane's Dmitriy Koch clinched the victory with a 7-6, 6-1 triumph over Jason Hazley at No. 2 singles. Koch, who is ranked No. 76 in the nation, improves to 12-2 this season with the victory.
Tulane added a point at No. 3 singles when Ted Angelinos won a grueling three-set match over Peter Richman, 6-1, 4-6, 7-6.
The only singles point for the Tigers came at No. 6 when Wave freshman Alberto Sottocorno retired due to injury in the third set of his match.
Kogan teamed with Goulet for an impressive double victory as well, defeating the 26th-ranked tandem of Fisher and Hazley, 8-6, at No. 1.
Tulane returns to action this weekend, playing at No. 58 Middle Tennessee State on Saturday and at No. 22 Vanderbilt on Sunday.
No. 27 Tulane 5, No. 13 LSU 2
2) #41 Ross/Rutka (LSU) def. Koch/Vasiljevic (TU): 8-3
3) Richman/Skupski (LSU) def. Angelinos/Hernandez (TU): 8-5
1) #13 Michael Kogan (TU) def. #28 Ken Skupski (LSU): 6-2, 6-3
2) #79 Dmitriy Koch (TU) def. Jason Hazley (LSU): 7-6 (7-2), 6-1
3) Ted Angelinos (TU) def. Peter Richman (LSU): 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3)
4) David Goulet (TU) def. Bryan Fisher (LSU): 6-2, 6-1
5) Jacobo Hernandez (TU) def. Sebastian Rutka (LSU): 6-3, 6-1
6) Cory Ross (LSU) def. Alberto Sottocorno (TU): 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 ret.