Alberto Sottocorno claimed a singles victory at No. 5 singles and also teamed with Dmitriy Koch at No. 1 doubles to lead the Wave to a 4-0 win over UAB Saturday at the C-USA Shootout.
Feb. 26, 2005
NEW ORLEANS - The Tulane men's tennis team claimed the doubles point and got three quick singles wins to defeat UAB 4-0 at the Conference USA Shootout Saturday at the Goldring Tennis Complex. With the victory, the No. 28 ranked Green Wave improved to 7-3 on the season.
Tulane's top two doubles teams gave the Wave the doubles point as the duos of Dmitriy Koch and Alberto Sottocorno at No. 1 doubles and Ted Angelinos and Jacobo Hernandez at No. 2 both claimed 8-6 wins over their UAB opponents.
In singles action, Tulane's Angelinos defeated UAB's Kristijan Mitrovski 6-2, 6-3 at No. 4 singles and the Green Wave picked up another point at No. 2 singles when Anton Mavrin was forced to default, giving sophomore David Goulet of Tulane the win. TU's Sottocorno clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-3 win over the Blazers' Andre Maier. The remaining singles matches were stopped due to the tournament format of the event.
The Green Wave will meet No. 54 USF Sunday at 1 p.m. in the championship of the C-USA Shootout, which brings six conference teams to the same site to play at least two matches each during the spring dual match season. USF defeated Southern Miss 4-1 in the last match of the day at the Goldring Tennix Complex and Charlotte posted a 4-2 win over Marquette in the morning consolation match. UAB and Southern Miss will play at the Goldring Complex beginning at 9 a.m.
2005 Conference USA Shootout
Saturday, February 26, 2005
Goldring Tennis Complex, New Orleans, La.
Tulane 4, UAB 0
1. Koch/Sottocorno (Tulane) def. Maier/Kanczula (UAB), 8-6
2. Angelinos/Hernandez (Tulane) def. Falk/Werkmann (UAB), 8-6
3. Goulet/Kane-West (Tulane) vs. Mavrin/Mitrovski (UAB), DNF
1. Dmitriy Koch (Tulane) vs. Sebastian Falk (UAB), DNF
2. David Goulet (Tulane) def. Anton Mavrin (UAB), 6-4, 3-3 Default
3. Jacobo Hernandez (Tulane) vs. Thomas Werkmann (UAB), DNF
4. Ted Angelinos (Tulane) def. Kristijan Mitrovski (UAB), 6-2, 6-3
5. Alberto Sottocorno (Tulane) def. Andre Maier (UAB), 6-2, 6-3
6. Jonah Kane-West (Tulane) vs. Filip Kanczula (UAB), DNF
USF 4, Southern Miss 1
1. Kiendl/Brozyna (USF) vs. Lux/Mezey (USM), DNF
2. Bourgeois/Rea (USM) def. Barragan/Barton (USF), 8-5
3. Canudas/Garzon (USM) def. Gattika/Gomez (USF), 8-3
1. Uli Kiendl (USF) vs. David Canudas (USM), DNF
2. Federico Barton (USF) def. Marc Lux (USM), 6-0, 7-5
3. Andreas Maroldt (USF) vs. Christopher Rea (USM), 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Juan Barragan (USF) def. Juan Garzon (USM), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Dillon Brozyna (USF) vs. Reid Bourgeois (USM), DNF
6. Juan Carlos Gomez (USF) def. Dylan Mezey (USM), 7-5, 6-3
Charlotte 4, Marquette 2
1. Sichol/Host (Charlotte) def. Vedrickas/Delmege (Marquette), 9-8 (2)
2. Santoso/Vencatachellum (Charlotte) def. Binkley/Van Lieshout (Marquette), 8-5
3. Kawas/Servoss (Marquette) def. Lynas/Jean-Michel Werk (Charlotte), 8-2
1. Roy Sichol (Charlotte) vs. Eigis Vedrickas (Marquette), DNF
2. Marlo Santoso (Charlotte) def. Troy Delmege (Marquette), 6-4, 6-3
3. Dorian Host (Charlotte) def. Ian Kawas (Marquette), 6-4, 6-1
4. Brett Binkley (Marquette) def. Jonathan Vencatachellum (Charlotte), 6-1, 6-2
5. Pete Van Lieshout (Marquette) def. Stuart Lynas (Charlotte), 7-5, 6-3
6. Zvi Lantsberg (Charlotte) def. Greg Sirotek (Marquette), 6-1, 6-3
-- Roll Wave --