Feb. 5, 2002
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - Tulane University suffered its first loss of the season with a 5-2 loss to the University of Arkansas on Tuesday evening at the Razorback Tennis Facility.
The Green Wave falls to 3-1, while Arkansas improves to 4-0.
Tulane opened the match by dropping the doubles point. Sophomore Michael Kogan (Kfar-Saba, Israel) and junior Victor Romero (Atizapan, Mexico) teamed up for an 8-3 win at the top flight of doubles. Ranked No. 22 in the nation, the Tulane pair upended Arkansas' Oggie Kolev and Aleksey Bubis, ranked No. 38 in the country. However, the Wave dropped the Nos 2 and 3 doubles matches.
In singles action, Kogan, ranked fourth nationally, had a tough battle with Kolev, ranked No. 81. After taking the first set, 6-3, Kogan slipped to a 7-6 loss in set two. However, he rebounded to edge the Razorback challenger, 7-6, in the decisive third set.
Romero also earned a point in singles action, cruising to a straight-set triumph over Nathan Price, 7-6, 6-1.
However, the Wave could not manage any other points in the match.
Tulane returns to action on Feb. 16, hosting Wichita State and New Orleans for a pair of dual matches at Goldring Tennis Stadium.
Results: No. 30 Arkansas 5, No. 33 Tulane 2
1. No. 21 Kogan/Romero (Tulane) def. No. 38 Kolev/Bubis (UA): 8-3
2. Price/Pacheo (UA) def. Lievano/Piiroinen (Tulane): 9-8
3. Ivarsson/Kullenberg (UA) def. Westerberg/Dion (Tulane): 8-1
1. No. 4 Michael Kogan (Tulane) def. No. 81 Oggie Kolev (UA): 6-3, 6-7, 7-6
2. No. 33 Victor Romero (Tulane) def. Nathan Price (UA): 7-6, 6-1
3. Magnus Kullenberg (UA) def. Jorge Lievano (Tulane): 6-3, 6-1
4. Aleksey Bubis (UA) def. Mattias Westerberg (Tulane): 6-4, 6-2
5. Eddie Pacheco (UA) def. Alexander Dion (TU): 6-1, 6-2
6. Kristofer Ivarsson (UA) def. Hannu Piiroinen (Tulane): 6-7, 6-1, 6-3