March 15, 2000
SOUTH BEND, IND. - The football-playing members of Conference USA are the latest to be honored by the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind. with a special exhibit and a display in the Hall's Locker Room, it was announced by the world-class museum Wednesday.
Each of the 10 football-playing members of C-USA - UAB, Army, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Houston, Louisville, Memphis, Southern Mississippi, Texas Christian (2001) and Tulane - are recognized with a helmet, jersey and pants in each of the Locker Room exhibit lockers.
In the Hall of Champions, a special Conference USA exhibit has been set up with memorabilia from the member schools. Each school is listed with overall record and historical achievements.
Among the items on display are:
* Game ball, t-shirt and commemorative coin from first C-USA game on August 30, 1996
* Cincinnati's plaque for winning the first Humanitarian Bowl in 1997
* Bob Lilly's (Texas Christian) Bluebonnet Bowl MVP Trophy in 1959
* Game ball from 1991 Fiesta Bowl in which Louisville defeated Alabama 34-7
* Shaun King's (Tulane) 1998 James J. Corbett Award
* Time Magazine cover with Army's Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis on the cover
* A replica of the Commander-In-Chief's Trophy that is awarded to the winner of series of games among Army, Navy and Air Force
* Trophy from one of college football's centennial games in 1969 where Louisville defeated Wichita State.
* David Klingler's (Houston) jersey
* Poster commemorating Andre Ware's (Houston) Heisman season in 1989
For questions on the Conference USA exhibit, please contact Shawn
Robinson at 219-235-5717.