From 1893 to 1919, the athletic teams of Tulane were known as the Olive and Blue. In 1919, the Tulane Weekly, one of Tulane's many student newspapers at the time, began calling the football team the Greenbacks.
On Oct. 20, 1920, Earl Sparling, the editor of the Tulane Hullabaloo, wrote a football song which was printed in the newspaper. The song was titled "The Rolling Green Wave." Although the name was not immediately adopted, it began to receive acceptance. A month later, a report of the Tulane-Mississippi A&M game in the Hullabaloo referred to the team as the Green Wave.
By the end of the season, the Hullabaloo was using the term Green Wave to refer to all Tulane athletic teams, as were many daily papers, although as late as 1923, the name Greenbacks was still in use.
In its infancy, Tulane's mascot was depicted as a pelican riding on a surf board. The surfing pelican image lasted for more than 50 years.
The "Greenie" was adopted in 1955. It was created by John Chase, a local cartoonist who drew the covers of the Tulane football program and those of many teams throughout the South.
When Dr. Rix Yard became the athletic director in 1963, he felt Tulane needed a more virile symbol for its teams. Working with Eldon Endacott, the manager of the Tulane bookstore, he arranged for a new mascot to be created. Several sketches were submitted by Art Evans, art director for Angelus-Pacific, Co., in Fullerton, Calif.
The angry-looking wave was adopted in 1964, and the block "T" with waves became the Tulane athletics logo in 1986.
Tulane unveiled a new family of marks in August 1998. The new logos featured the return of the pelican to the Green Wave look, along with the use of a "T" with a modern "wave" as a primary logo mark. A new pelican mascot was introduced and given the name Riptide by a vote of Tulane students.