Dec. 21, 2013
NEW ORLEANS - Four players scored in double figures to lead a total team effort for the Tulane men's basketball team to an 84-66 victory to open the Westin Holiday Classic on Saturday afternoon in Devlin Fieldhouse.
Jonathan Stark led the Green Wave (6-6) with a game-high 21 points, while Louis Dabney had 19, Kevin Thomas added a career-high 12 and Jay Hook chipped in with 11. As a team, Tulane shot 54.7 percent from the floor and connected on 22-of-23 free throws in the victory.
"I was proud of our guys tonight," Tulane head coach Ed Conroy said. "We showed a lot of progress and really tried the share the basketball. Overall, it was a good approach by our guys and it showed up in the big guys being able to score."
Tulane dished out 14 assists, led by Dabney and Shark with five each, to help the Green Wave posts combined for 28 points. In addition to Thomas' 12 and Tomas Bruha added eight, Tre Drye had six and Peyton Henson chipped in with two.
Alabama State (4-4) was able to hang in the game for the first 12 minutes and held a 19-18 lead with 8:28 remaining, but Tulane answered ASU's only lead of the game by scoring 10 straight points to break the game open and take a 28-19 lead with 5:56 left. The Hornets never got closer than six the rest of the game and trailed the Green Wave, 43-27, at the break.
Tulane took its largest lead of the season, 20 points, less than five minutes into the second half, 54-34. The Green Wave led by double figures for all by 19 seconds the remainder of the game.
Alabama State shot 41.5 percent from the floor, including just seven-of-25 from three-point range.
Thomas scored his career-high on five-of-six shooting and a perfect two-of-two from the line. He also grabbed a career-best five rebounds in 17 minutes off the bench.
Drye led Tulane with 14 boards as the Green Wave outrebounded ASU, 36-24.
The Green Wave will return to action on Sunday as the Westin Holiday Classic continues. Tulane will take on Northeastern at 5 p.m. CT, following Alabama State vs. UW-Milwaukee's 3 p.m. CT tip.
Tickets for the 2013-14 Tulane men's basketball games are available for as low as $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for children. For additional information, contact the Tulane Team Shop ticket office in person on the first floor of the James W. Wilson, Jr. Center Monday thru Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Information is also available over the phone at 504-861-WAVE (9283) or via the Internet at www.TulaneGreenWave.com.
- Jonathan Stark scored in double figures in today's game with his 21 points, marking his 11th double figure scoring game of his career. The freshman guard has reached double digits in all but one game this season and has scored in double digits in eight straight games.
- Tre Drye's 14 rebounds in tonight's game, marking the fifth time this season and the eighth time in his career then he has pulled down double digit rebounds.
- Jay Hook scored in double figures in today's game with his 11 points. It is his eighth double digit scoring game of the season and the ninth of his career.
- Kevin Thomas scored in double figures in today's game with his 12 points. It is his first double digit scoring game of the season and the second of his career. His 12 points also marks a career-high, surpassing his previous high of 10 scored against Houston on March 2, 2011.
- Louis Dabney scored in double figures in today's game with his 19 points. It is his 11th double digit scoring game of the season and the 13th of his career. He has scored in double figures in 11 straight games now.