Tulane Loses Rivalry Contest to UNO, 49-39

TULANEGREENWAVE.COM Senior Robinson Louisme scored a team-high 15 points
Senior Robinson Louisme scored a team-high 15 points

Dec. 3, 2008

Complete Box Score in PDF Format Get Acrobat Reader

New Orleans-Baskets were few and far between in Wednesday night's cross-town rivalry contest between the Tulane men's basketball team and the host University of New Orleans, as the Privateers upended Tulane, 49-39.

Tulane (4-3), who shot only 29.3% from inside the arch, was held to under 40 points for the first time since November 10, 2006, when the Wave fell to Butler, 77-37, in the season opener.

A relatively low-scoring first half, the teams headed into the locker room with the Privateers (2-4) only leading by two, 20-18. UNO held Green Wave guard Kevin Sims, the team's leading scorer who was averaging 15.6 points heading into the game, was held scoreless in the first half, while senior Robinson Louisme led Tulane with eight first-half points, finishing the night with a team-high 15. UNO's Darrian McKinstry (game-high 16 points) led all first half scorers with 10 points and was also the only player on either team to hit a trey in the first half.

The Privateers got on the board first when Kyndall Dykes (15 points, four rebounds) missed a layup and Ejike Hart grabbed the offensive board and put it back up a minute into the game. Louisme answered with a layup and the score crawled its way up from there.

"It was just one of those nights," head coach Dave Dickerson said. "UNO did a great job of defending; they were very physical with us and they have some very athletic kids throughout their team. They made some great athletic plays and we were unable to make them."

UNO broke it open with less than 10 minutes to play in the second half when the Privateers went on an eight-point run that was started with McKinstry's layup to break the 29-all tie. UNO finished the scoring spree with Jaroslav Tyrna's layup, putting the Privateers up 37-29 with 6:05 to go in the contest.

Johnny Mayhane answered with Tulane's first three-point bucket with 4:33 left to play, breaking a six minute offensive drought and bringing the Green Wave within five, 37-32. UNO pushed their offense and put four more points on the board, two of which came via a Dykes dunk. With 2:29 left to play, UNO extended their lead, 42-34, but Tulane wouldn't catch up, even with the help of a three-point play from Sims who sunk the free throw after hitting a layup with just under a minute to play. Tulane's Daniel Puckett hit a jumper to close the lead to seven, but with only 46 seconds left on the game clock, the Green Wave couldn't pull it out.

Tulane takes on Western Kentucky on Saturday, December 6 at Fogelman. Tip-off is at 2PM.