March 3, 2012
NEW ORLEANS - The streak of winning on senior night didn't continue on Saturday night in Fogelman Arena as the Tulane men's basketball team fell to visiting East Carolina, 66-49, in the regular season finale.
The Green Wave (15-15, 3-13 C-USA) snapped a streak of seven straight senior night wins and will be the 12th seed in next week's Conference USA Tournament. Tulane will face No. 5 seed UAB at 9 p.m. CT on Wednesday in FedEx Forum in Memphis.
Ricky Tarrant led the way again for Tulane with 16 points and four assists, while Josh Davis added nine points and eight rebounds. Jordan Callahan chipped in eight points and Tre Drye pulled down seven boards to go with four points.
ECU (14-15, 5-11 C-USA) secured the 10th seed with the victory. The Pirates were led by Maurice Kemp's 22 points and 10 rebounds off the bench. Darrius Morrow added 19 points and seven boards.
Tulane jumped out to an early 5-0 lead on a 3-pointer by Tarrant and a jumper by Callahan, but ECU climbed back and took the lead for good with 12:02 left in the first half when Robert Sampson dropped a 3-pointer to give the Pirates a 14-12 advantage. ECU built as much as an eight point lead in the opening half before Tulane cut the deficit to four, 26-22, at the half with consecutive baskets from Dan Monckton and Drye.
Tarrant hit the first bucket of the second half to cut ECU's lead to two, but the Pirates scored 13 of the next 18 points to take a double figure lead. Tulane never got closer than seven the rest of the game.
"We struggled all night shooting the basketball, we didn't make shots and it was not a very pretty performance," Tulane head coach Ed Conroy said. "I would have liked to see us be a little tougher. This was not our best effort as far as an activity standpoint."
The Green Wave shot 37.8 percent from the floor and were outrebounded 39-22. ECU hit 48.0 percent from the floor grabbed 11 offensive boards the led to 12 second chance points.
- Tulane honored the senior class of Trent Rogers and Dan Monckton prior to the game.
- Tulane donned the blue uniforms at home for the first time this season. Tulane is 0-3 in the uniforms on the road (at Syracuse, at UAB and at Houston).
- Jordan Callahan's one 3-pointer tonight gives him 54 this season, ranking him tied for sixth on Tulane's single season list for 3-pointers made.
- Ricky Tarrant's one 3-pointer tonight gives him 52 this season, ranking him tied for 10th on Tulane's single season list for 3-pointers made.
- Freshman Ricky Tarrant scored in double figures for the 24th game this season with his 16 points tonight.