Green Wave Falls in OT at UTEP



Feb. 11, 2012

Box Score

EL PASO, Texas - Despite getting 19 points from both Jordan Callahan and Ricky Tarrant, the Tulane men's basketball team could not hold off UTEP on Saturday night, falling 54-52, in overtime at the Don Haskins Center.

The Green Wave (15-9, 3-7 C-USA) had its chances for a victory at the end of regular and overtime, but each time the shots fell off the rim. Tarrant's jumper as time expired in regular fell out and a 3-pointer by Callahan with 0:03 remaining also did not fall.

The Miners (12-13, 5-6 C-USA) scored the final four points of regulation and had six of the eight points in the overtime period to come away with the their second victory in a row.

"I'm extremely proud of our guys and that right there was a beautiful college basketball game," Tulane head coach Ed Conroy said. "It was a slug fest. Both teams threw stats out the window and nobody wanted to give an inch."

After a jumper by Tarrant gave Tulane a 48-44 lead with 2:28 left in regulation, UTEP's Cedrick Lang dunked with 2:06 left and Jacques Streeter hit a lay-up with 1:20 remaining to tie the score. The Miners wouldn't get another shot attempt in regulation, while Tulane missed their two attempts at the win.

Tarrant opened the overtime with a lay-up just 18 seconds to give the Green Wave a 50-48 lead, but a Michael Perez free throw and a dunk by John Bohannon gave the lead back to UTEP with 0:54 left. Tarrant then knocked down a pair of free throws to retake the lead, 52-51, with 0:28 remaining. Bohannon hit a jumper and a free throw with 0:14 left to seal the victory.

Callahan scored the first 10 points of the game for Tulane and finished the first half with 15. Tarrant was held scoreless in the opening 20 minutes and posted 15 in the second half and four in the overtime period.

Tarrant also added a team-high eight rebounds to go with four assists.



Neither team built more than a four-point lead in the first half. Tulane led twice, including 19-15 with 5:08 left in the half. UTEP led 23-19 with 1:39 left and held a 23-22 lead at the break.

The Miners opened the second half by scoring six of the first eight points and led, 27-22, their largest lead of the game.

Tulane then rattled off a 15-3 run that included an 11-0 stretch to take a 39-32 lead with 9:22 left in regulation. That would be their largest lead and a lead they would hold until the game was tied with 1:20 left.

Perez led UTEP with 15 points, while Streeter, Gabriel McCulley and Julian Washburn each added nine points. Bohannon led the way with 10 rebounds and chipped in five points, all in the overtime period.

Tre Drye posted four points and grabbed seven rebounds for the Green Wave, while Josh Davis also pulled down seven boards.

"Credit UTEP for getting to the free throw line and rebounding well," Conroy added. "They also did a good job on defense and caused us to turn the ball overall a few times in clutch situations. Credit our guys as well. They battled like crazy."

Tulane shot 42.2 percent from the floor, but managed just one of six in overtime. The Green Wave also knocked down just nine of 16 free throws and had 16 turnovers.

UTEP hit 34.6 percent from the floor, including just 27.3 percent in the first half. The Miners converted 14 of 28 free throws and converted Tulane's 16 turnovers into 22 points.

Tulane will return home to host Memphis at 7 p.m. CT on Wednesday in Fogelman Arena.
- Jordan Callahan reached double figures in scoring for the 17th game this season and the 47th game of his career with his 19 points tonight.
- Freshman Ricky Tarrant scored in double figures for the 19th game this season with his 19 points tonight. Tonight marks his 10th straight double figure scoring game.
- Tulane falls to 0-2 in overtime this season.