NEW ORLEANS - The Tulane track and field program and head coach Eric Peterson announced on Friday, June 1 the addition of seven student-athletes to the program for the upcoming season. The class includes a pair of international recruits, three competitors from the West Coast, one New Orleanian and a New Jersey product.
"We are very excited about our 2012 recruiting class," said Tulane head coach Eric Peterson. "I want to commend our coaching staff for their efforts and hard work in broadening our recruiting scope and for bringing together a very talented and highly accomplished group of student-athletes. This group joins our program from all over the United States and internationally. I expect this group of young women to make an immediate and significant impact on our team, along with providing much needed depth in several event areas."
Jessica Adamson, Jill Doyle, Tamika Gettridge-Brazzel, Elizabeth McMillan, Dana Ohlson, Daliadiz Ortiz and Kayla Quincy have all signed their National Letters of Intent to compete on the oval for the Olive and Blue next season.
Adamson will venture to the Crescent City after a solid prep career in Toronto, Ontario where she was named the Track Athlete of the Year during each of her first three seasons at the North Toronto Collegiate Institute. The sprinter and hurdler claimed the City Championship in the 400-meter hurdles last year. In a national level, Adamson took home a third place showing in the 400 meter and a fifth place finish in the 300-meter hurdles at the Canadian Youth National Championships. At the national meet, the 5-foot-10 sprinter posted her personal best time of 56.03 in the 400 meter and 44.26 in the 300-meter hurdles.
A Glance at Jessica Adamson
- Sprinter/Hurdler from Toronto, Ontario
- Three Time Track Athlete of the Year at North Toronto Collegiate Institute
- Toronto City Champion in the 400-meter Hurdles
- 3th Place Showing at Canadian Youth National Championships in 400 meter
- 5th Place Showing at Canadian Youth National Championships in 300-meter Hurdles
A native of Hillsboro, Ore., Doyle will be a solid addition to the Green Wave's pole vault unit. Entering her senior season, she is already the school record holder at Jesuit High School after clearing the 12-foot-4 bar at the Oregon School Activities Association 6A State Championships last year, claiming the state championship in the event. She has helped the Crusaders to back-to-back team state championships, after finishing fifth in the state in the pole vault as a sophomore. She is a three-time All-State honoree - earning First Team honors in 2010, 2011 and 2012 - and has earned First Team All-Metro Conference honors during all four seasons at JHS.
A Glance at Jill Doyle
- Pole Vaulter from Hillsboro, Oregon
- 2011 & 2012 OSAA 6A State Pole Vault Champion
- School Record Holder at Jesuit (Ore.) High School (12'4")
- First Team All-State (Pole Vault) as a Sophomore, Junior and Senior
- Three-Time Qualifier for OSAA 6A State Championships (Pole Vault)
Gettridge-Brazzel is a versatile student-athlete that will add depth to the sprinting and jumping events for the Green Wave after a solid prep career at El Camino High School. A three-time team most valuable player, Gettridge-Brazzel qualified for the California Interscholastic Federation during each of her final three seasons at ECHS. She qualified in the triple jump all three years, earning a third place showing as a senior, and advanced to the state summit in the 300-meter hurdles during the 2010 campaign and the long jump in 2012. Her career best time in the 300-meter hurdles stands at 43.93, she has a 14.30 PR in the 100-meter hurdles, while she has jumped 12.07-meters in the triple jump and 5.79-meters on the long jump runway.
A Glance at Tamika Gettridge-Brazzel
- Jumper/Hurdler from San Diego, Calif.
- Three Time Most Valuable Track Athlete at El Camino (Calif.) High School
- Five Time California Interscholastic Federation State Championships Qualifier
- Career Best Jump of 12.07-meters in the Triple Jump
- Competed in the 100 and 300-meter hurdles, 4x100 relay, long jump and triple jump for the Wildcats
McMillan will make the trip from the West Coast to New Orleans to sprint for the Olive and Blue. In four seasons at Tamalpais High School, the 5-foot-6 sprinter rewrote the record books for the Hawks. McMillan set the school record in the 200 meter with a time 23.87 to capture third place at the state championships. She covered 100-meters in 11.76 earlier this year to break her own school record in the event and placed sixth overall at the state meet with a 11.78 showing. Overall, McMillan qualified for the CIF State Championships in the 100 and 200 meter events during her sophomore, junior and senior seasons, earning First Team All-MCAL each of the past two years.
A Glance at Elizabeth McMillan
- Sprinter from Mill Valley, California
- Six Time Qualifier for CIF State Championships (100 & 200 meter)
- School Record Holder in 100 and 200 meter events
- 2011 & 2012 First Team All-Marin County Athletic League in 100 meter
- Three-Time MVP at Tamalpais High School
A multi-event performer from New Jersey, Ohlson will make her way to campus for the 2012-13 school year. Ohlson qualified for the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association Group 4 Indoor State Championships during each of her four seasons at Southern Regional High School, advancing to the New Jersey Meet of Champions in 2011 and 2012 in the high jump. On the outdoor scene, the 5-foot-8 jumper advanced to the 2010 NJSIAA Outdoor State Championships in the high jump and returned in 2011 to compete in the long jump. As a senior, Ohlson claimed the state title in the long jump, while finished among the medalists in the high jump and 100-meter hurdles. Ohlson owns the school record in the long jump (indoor and outdoor) and was named First Team All-Shore Region as a junior and senior.
A Glance at Dana Ohlson
- Heptathlete from Brant Beach, New Jersey
- Ten Time NJSIAA State Meet Qualifier (55 Hurdles, 100 Hurdles, High Jump & Long Jump)
- 2012 NJIAA High Jump State Champion
- School Long Jump Record Holder (Indoor and Outdoor)
- 2012 First Team All-State Selection in High Jump
The second international recruit to sign with the Green Wave program for 2012-13 is Ortiz, a native of Puerto Rico. Ortiz owns the Puerto Rico Junior National record in the javelin at 52.03-meters and is a three-time Junior National Champion in her country. In 2011, the 5-foot-4 thrower claimed seventh at the World Youth Championships in Lille, France, took the bronze medal at the Pan America Junior Championships in Miami, Fla. and grabbed a bronze medal at the Senior International Grand Prix in Cali, Columbia. In 2010 at the first ever Youth Olympic Games, Ortiz placed sixth overall in the javelin and followed that with gold medal performance in the Central American Youth Championships.
A Glance at Daliadiz Ortiz
- Javelin thrower from Cidra, Puerto Rico
- 3 Time Puerto Rican Junior National Champion
- Bronze Medalist at 2011 Pan American Junior Championships
- 7th Place Finish at 2011 World Youth Championships
- 6th Place Showing at Youth Olympic Games in Singapore (2010)
Quincy joins the Green Wave program after a standout high school career at Xavier Prep in New Orleans. The sprinter advanced to the Louisiana High School Athletic Association during each of her four seasons with the Yellow Jackets, competing in 24 total events on the state's biggest stage. Quincy helped her Xavier Prep team to the Class 3A Indoor State Championship in 2012 as she won the individual 400 meter title and headed a pair of relays finishers that grabbed a first and second place showing. A three-time outdoor LHSAA state champion in the 400 meter, Quincy ran a career-best 56.00 in the event at the 2012 state summit, while also winning the indoor title during each of the last two seasons. Overall, the Crescent City product earned ten gold medals and seven silver medals at the LHSAA Championships.
A Glance at Kayla Quincy
- Sprinter from New Orleans, La.
- Ten-Time Louisiana High School Athletic Association Champion (5 Individual, 5 Relay)
- Career-Best Time of 56.00 in the Outdoor 400 meter event
- 24 Total Events Competed in at LHSAA State Championship Meets
- Two-Time Most Valuable Performer at Tiger Invitational (2011, 2012)
Other additions to the Tulane track and field roster for the 2012-13 campaign will include,
Name, Event(s) - Hometown (High School)
Taylor Caulk, Jumps - Potomac, Md. (Winston Churchill)
Haley Miller, Pole Vault - New Iberia, La. (Catholic)
Molly Pearlman, Pole Vault - Sherman Oaks, Calif. (Notre Dame)
Mikayla Sonneborn, Distance - Rogersville, Pa. (West Greene)
Cheyenne Swanson, Throws - Hailey, Idaho (Wood River)
Heather Volk, Hurdles - Saint Augustine, Fla. (St. Joseph Academy)
Name, Event(s) - Hometown (High School)
Nicholas Meloro, Distance - Fort Washington, Pa. (Germantown Academy)
John Mouton, Sprints - Houston, Texas (St. Thomas)
Jack White, Middle Distance - Fairfield, Conn. (Fairfield Ludlowe)
Adam Yohanan, Middle Distance - Manhattan, N.Y. (Bronx School of Science)