One of the most historic facilities in college athletics, Avron B. Fogelman Arena in Devlin Fieldhouse has been the home of the Green Wave basketball for 81 years
One of the historic venues in college basketball has undergone a transformation with the restoration and renaming of the 81-year-old building that has been home to the Green Wave basketball and volleyball teams. Avron B. Fogelman Arena in Devlin Fieldhouse officially opened on Nov. 9, 2012, when the Tulane women topped Louisiana Tech, 66-59, to open the 2012-13 season.
Architects from Gould Evans, a Kansas City firm that designed the Hertz Center and is now designing Yulman Stadium, Tulane's new football stadium, and local firm Lachin-Oubre have been working with Tulane University to complete enhancements and upgrades to the existing basketball and volleyball facility to rediscover and highlight the building's unique historic characteristics while creating a distinguished game-day atmosphere for the entire Green Wave community.
Phase 1 of the project construction began in Spring 2012 with the addition of new bleachers and chair back seating, along with new concession and merchandise stands. The acoustical ceiling was removed to reveal the original steel structure and wooden ceiling. New lighting was installed to provide television-broadcast quality light levels. The Coach's Corner was remodeled to include an additional Club Lounge for Tulane Athletics Fund members. The entry lobby features a new ticket booth, terrazzo flooring and a graphic wall displaying historic basketball moments and court flooring.
Phase 2 of the construction was completed prior to the 2014 volleyball season. This phase increased the number of restrooms, plus the addition of new visitor locker rooms, officials' locker room and a laundry facility.
Work continues in the building with the installation of energy-efficient windows, along with painting and other upgrades, while maintaining the historical prospective of the Fieldhouse. In fall of 2015, a video board will also be added to the arena.
The building originally opened on Dec. 15, 1933, and is currently the ninth oldest active basketball venue in the nation.
Construction of the facility was funded by the Green Wave football team's appearance in the 1932 Rose Bowl. In fact, the facility was unofficially referred to as "Rose Bowl Gym" back in its early days.
Less than two years after the bowl appearance, on Oct. 27, 1933, Tulane Gymnasium was dedicated as part of Homecoming festivities on campus, and play began in the facility for the 1933-34 season. Tulane defeated UL-Lafayette, 38-34, in the facility's first game on Dec. 15, 1933. Tulane Gym was one of the largest in college basketball when it opened, even though there were no court level seats at first. Tulane played host to the 1942 NCAA East Regional in the facility. Floor-level seats were added in 1948.
The Green Wave played all of its home games in the facility until the mid-1970s, when a select number of games were moved to the then-Louisiana Superdome. The Wave moved all of its home games back on campus again after another remodeling was completed in 1981-82.
Avron B. Fogelman Arena in Devlin Fieldhouse also underwent renovations during the fall of 2001 when the floor was refurbished and air conditioning was added for the first time. In 2003 the Fieldhouse again received upgrades, as locker rooms were remodeled. Retractable bleachers were also installed to offer more court space for practices. The Green Wave volleyball team, which shares the facility with the hoop teams, also enjoys an upgraded locker room. In 2007, the facility received a new floor, scoreboard and signage on the outside of the building.
In 1982, the arena was the site of the National Association of Basketball Coaches All-Star Game in conjunction with Tulane's hosting of the NCAA Men's Final Four. Tulane hosted the event again in 1993 and 2012, along with the 3-point and slam dunk competitions.
Avron B. Fogelman Arena in Devlin Fieldhouse played host to the Conference USA Women's Basketball Tournament in 1999 and 2009.
Oldest active men's basketball arenas in the nation...
1. Matthews Arena - Northeastern - April 16, 1910
2. Rose Hill Gym - Fordham - Jan. 16, 1925
3. Lavietes Pavilion - Harvard - 1926
4. The Palestra - Penn - Jan. 1, 1927
5. Hec Edmundson Pavilion - Washington - Dec. 27, 1927
6. Williams Arena - Minnesota - Feb. 4, 1928
7. Hinkle Fieldhouse - Butler - March 7, 1928
8. Payne Whitney Gym - Yale - Dec. 10, 1932
9. Avron B. Fogelman Arena in Devlin Fieldhouse - Tulane - Dec. 15, 1933
10. Haas Pavilion - California - 1933
11. Municipal Auditorium - UMKC - 1935
12. Gallagher-Iba Arena - Oklahoma State - Dec. 9, 1938
13. Lundholm Gym - New Hampshire - 1938
14. McAlister Field House - The Citadel - 1939
15. Cameron Indoor Stadium - Duke - Jan. 6, 1940